Application Requirements Checklist
Our admission requirements for the Master of Finance (MFIN) program are listed below. Meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission, as we have limited space each year. Our Admission Committee takes a holistic approach during the application review process and all components of the application are given a thoughtful and thorough review.
- Honours (4 year) bachelor degree or equivalent in any discipline with a minimum B+ average (equivalent to a McMaster GPA of 8.5) from an accredited university.
- Prefer minimum of one term each of university level calculus, algebra, and statistics. The normal expectation is that these courses have been completed within the last five years.
- Minimum GMAT score of 600 or the GRE equivalent.
- At least one letter of reference from an academic source, the other letter of reference may be non-academic.
- Applicants whose native language is not English and did not complete their most recent degree entirely in English are required to submit an Official English language test. Minimum TOEFL score of 92; or IELTS score of 6.5. Note – for our 2019 class, the average TOEFL score was 100 and the average IELTS score was 7.
Please note that our program does not require work experience.
You do not need to submit a Personal Statement of Interest or a Writing Sample.
Application Key Dates and Deadlines
Space in our program is limited. Applicants are encouraged to apply early to maximize entrance scholarship award consideration!
|Program Entry||Round 1||Round 2||Round 3||Round 4**|
|Fall 2020||December 1, 2019||January 15, 2020||February 14, 2020||March 25, 2020|
Applications from International students will only be accepted in Rounds 1, 2 and 3. We would recommend that International students apply as early as possible to allow enough time to secure a study permit should an offer be extended.
**Round 4 is only for domestic applicants only.
Please note that we recommend that you do not submit your application in Mosaic until you have all of your documentation. If you choose to submit your application without the required documentation, your filed will not be reviewed by the Admission Committee until it is complete. The deadline for submitting any missing documentation is February 21, 2020 for International applicants and April 1, 2020 for Domestic applicants.
How to Apply
We’ve included a step-by-step process below as you complete your application. If you’re interested in learning more about the application process, when to expect application decisions and what to do if you’ve been accepted into our program, we encourage you to spend some time to watch our webinar.
Step 1 – Create your profile
To start your application for the Master of Finance program, you will need to create a profile in our online system here.
Step by step instructions can be found here.
Step 2 – Upload your application materials
Complete all personal information fields and upload the required documents including:
- Unofficial transcripts
- This includes transcripts for all post-secondary institutions previously attended, any transfer credits, exchange programs, summer courses at different schools, etc.
- Your GMAT test take report
- Please ensure that you release your scores from your Testing Center to McMaster University (Institution #0936, Program Code #0D1-LC-57) and the DeGroote School of Business Master of Finance Program.
- Your TOEFL/IELTS test taker report
- Your Resume/CV
The MFIN Program Office does not require that you submit any hard copies/original official documents in order to have your application reviewed by the Admissions Committee. You will only be required to submit hard copies/original official documents should you be offered a position in our program.
Note – If you are unable to upload all of your documents into Mosaic, you can e-mail any missing documents directly to email@example.com and ensure that you include your full name, application ID and student number in the subject line.
**Please note that our Admission Committee will only review your application once ALL of your required materials have been received by our office.
Step 3 – Pay and submit your application
Once these components have been completed and you are ready to submit, you will be promoted to pay the application fee (CAD $110) via credit card. Once the payment has been approved, you can submit the application.